Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] SHURflo pumps

Dave Morrill (david.p.morrill@fairchildsemi.com)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:55:06 -0400

Tim,
I'm doing this, in the limited experience I've had, you will still need check
valves, unless you make the oil pan really large.  My mini oil pan is about
20 cubic inches and is not large enough to catch all the oil that gravity
feeds into the turbo after shutdown, and I am using a 5psi cracking pressure
check valve to try and stop this, I know other guys (Rick) are using this
check valve too.

It also kills ground clearance in my setup, so I'm still looking for a way to
get rid of it.  The fewer pieces the better.

I've tried 2 shurflo pumps, I'm using the smaller 100 series right now, and
it seems to be doing the job.  The 8000 series is much larger, and draws 4A
vs 2A for the smaller 100 series (measured in actual operation, the 8000 is
actually rated at 7A I think).  One drawback on the 100 series is it seems to
be self priming only to 6" or so, so it needs to be mounted down low.  A
drawback on the 8000 is it doesn't appear to be watertight, so you need to
mount it carefully.  I've seen this mounted in the tailight assembly on a ZX
in a turbo book I've read.

Good luck, let me know what you figure out.

-Dave.