Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

[turbobike] ZX-11 turbocharged! - bigger turbo?

Dave Morrill (david.p.morrill@fairchildsemi.com)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:45:49 -0400

Hello Diego,
    Sounds like a good project.   I'm not sure, but I think that your GPz 750
turbo may be a little small.  If it is, you will probably be disappointed.
When swapping out a turbo from salvage and I can't get the compressor map, I
usually do a rough cfm calc based on boost, disp, and redline from both engines
and see if they are close.  If the turbo is too small you'll be way off on the
efficiency and have problems with surging, and probably detonation from the
extra air heating, and just plain poor performance.

I don't know the specs on your bike, if you send them to me I'll calculate the
numbers for you.  Need displacement, boost that your GPz ran, and redline on
both bikes.

You may be better off finding a junkyard turbo from a 1.5-2.0 liter car, clean
it up and try that.  I've gotten them in good shape for under $100.

Good luck!

Dave.