Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Carb Question

Jeffrey K. Churchill (jcperformance@juno.com)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:39:44 -0500

Bob,
  I think you are dead-on,....the formula is something like 50% of engine
displacement on a four stroke,..right ??
  Funny thing is,..I didn't do it on my Buell turbo project bike,...it
has practically
no plenum volume,...but responds and runs great.  The .63 turbine  A/R
is a little
big for a street bike,....I haven't fully tested the .48  hotside
yet,...but I found that the
key was making the intermediate (carb)  circuit lean enough for good
response
while adding an additional main fuel circuit for adequate high rpm
mixture.
  It seems that the overall fuel needs are so broad that a regular carb
can't
compensate properly.  Of course  F.I.  solves this nicely.
  I'm sure my solution is not unique,...but the method and result was
really
eye-opening.  Using a cv carb allows good velocity everywhere,  and MAY
be
why I am getting away with no plenum.  The extra fuel circuit doesn't cut
in until
the slide lifts over 3/4,...allowing a smaller regular main jet and
needle combo.
  Have you seen something like this before ??

Jeff Churchill

J.C. Performance    617-06 Bicycle Path   Pt Jeff Sta  NY  11776   USA
techline: 631-928-9863    Fax:  631 928-6679
website:   www.jcperformance.com
*