Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Carb Question

shammar@nsk-corp.com
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 07:49:13 -0500

Realistically you'll never get too much plenum volume.  The need for plenum
volume is all but forgotten on four cylinder engines since the intake events of
the cylinders provide an almost uninteruppted flow out of the compressor.
However, a larger accumulator volume reduces manifold pressure fluctuations
between intake events.  On a twin, you'll run into surge much more easily and
must have a huge plenum.  Having a large plenum is akin to being able to blow up
a balloon with full lungs the whole time.  You don't want empty lungs before the
intake valve event has finished.

Turbine response (how fast it makes boost) will be governed by the exhaust event
and turbocharger matching.

That's just my $0.02.  I've built a few bikes but that doesn't mean anything
either.

Bob

Bryan <bgoodwin@iquest.net> on 11/21/99 01:37:26 PM