Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Hey fellas O2 sensor $70

Christer Johansson (christer.johansson@mbox383.swipnet.se)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:54:17 +0200

Sorry to be the one with bad news....but.....
A 02 sensor from an aftermarket kit or an everyday car,
can not be used to monitor EXACT A/F ratio, as they
are only designed to operate around lambda 0,9-1,1 (90%-110% of 14,7 to 1).

A modern turbo car turns off the lamdba when fattening up the mixture
during boost.
An aftermarket 02 gauge ,can be used as a pin point to wether it is running
rich
or lean, wich can be very helpful when for example sorting out a turbo
bike, but
it canīt be used to determine wether itīs running at lambda 0,84 or lambda
0,92
when tuning for max power.
There are special "measure lambdas" but they cost around 1500.00$ just
for the sensor ,for the whole kit with a lcd display and all it is about
4000,00$,
(at least the ones I have seen), wich of course neither of us are willing
to pay.
I borrowed such a "measure lambda" from work and could immediatly see
that my own "homebuilt" 02 gauge was not to exact.
So the aftermarket 02 gauges with A/F ratios written on them are just bogus

unless theyīre extremly expensive. At least over the wider range of A/F
ratioīs.
Just thought that I would share,     Christer