Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] carburation vs fuel injection

John C Williamson (john.williamson5@virgin.net)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:36:58 +0100

I was refering to the charge temperature drop mainly, and the fact that
nitrous seems happy at very rich mixtures.

Nitrouse does not seem to cause detonation easily, I have used massive
amounts on some bikes with no problems.
The two most remarkable were completely stock.  One was a totaly stock and
new GSXR1100WP (Derestricted = 136bhp SAE Rear wheel horsepower) this was my
own bike and on nitrous made a reliable 190 bhp, on pump fuel. This with
stock pipes / plugs / timing etc.
And then my friends 'competition drag bike' . (long low + fat slick and
airshifter. This had a 1100n suzuki motor that was completely stock exept
for a strong clutch, and fixed advance magneto taken from some commertial
generator engine!
We added 150 bhp worth of nitrous oxide, using a home made nitrous system,
and big fuel pump, and the 1/4mile times went from 11.20@119 best, to a 9.01
at 151 on the next run! This ran all season with no problems on pump fuel
too! (threw about a litre of oil out via a big crankase breather into a
catch tank every run)

So I would have thought that Nitrous would allow a slightly richer and
cooler charge / more boost with a few less degrees of advance.

What it does definitely do is remove lag! Full boost can be obtained using a
BIG turbo at low revs off the line, when you hit the button. A bigger turbo
allows more total power due to the lower exhaust restriction. If detonation
is a problem then the nitrous fuel mix could be nitrous / methanol from a
small extra tank. Methanol will allow more boost for lots of reasons.

What do you lot think?

Actually after a bad bike crash that left me paralysed and in a wheelchair
it is all pretty acedemic for me now as I cannot ride a bike now.
Interesting stuff though.