Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] carburation vs fuel injection

Christer Johansson (christer.johansson@mbox383.swipnet.se)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:47:10 +0200

Lorcan

Yes F1 cars use EFI ,but thats another world ,now Youīr talking
extremeīs. They make alterations all the time to compensate for
different circuits, weather ,etc etc etc.
Yes a state of the art EFI will be ahead when it comes to
managment and to be in control, but do You need it ?
When it comes to emissions and saving fuel ,EFI is definatly ahead,
but then again is that something that interests this crowd?
An EFI is able to operate much closer to being to lean then carbs are.
How come that bikes that are much more power oriented than cars
doesent use carbs to the same extent as the everyday cars?
The guys who orginally built My turbo system have built many turbo
bikes but has stopped making efi versions simply because the carb
versions runs just as well and the efi just adds to the costs.
What was wrong about My point regarding flow through the plenum?
When comparing proīs and conīs between efi and carbs at least I have
the costs in the back of the head, maybe You donīt?
Why should I spend thousands of $ on something that gives no additional
hp or increases drivability, and adds complexity?
I should say that My bike idles happily at 900 rpmīs
(if so desired) and pulls through the revs clean and crisp with no glitches
or bogging. I would rather spend that money on a efficient turbo and
intercooler
setup, where the real power is.
What kind of bike do You have that needs 16 injectors?

regards / Christer