Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

[turbobike] Resend ZX-11 bigger turbo calcs

Dave Morrill (david.p.morrill@fairchildsemi.com)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:56:37 -0400

Diego,
    Ballpark estimates:  The guys on this list can probably tell you how
out to
lunch the numbers are, here goes:

    The GPz turbo is good for 200cfm at 12000 rpm 10 lbs of boost on
your old
bike.  Do you know what it made for HP?  I can use this to get the
numbers
a little more accurate by back calculating the volumetric efficiency..
I calced 145-155
HP for an engine this size (assuming modern volumetric efficiency #'s)
on a 70 deg day.
    Your ZX-11 needs over 320 cfm for 10lbs of boost at 13000, looks
like over
230 HP.  It needs 200cfm stock (without a turbo).  The GPz turbo is a
stretch,
I'm betting it's too small.
    Try and scavenge a  turbo from a 2200cc car that redlined around
6500 rpm,
this would be an exact match for your motor, cfm wise (317cfm at
10lbs).  A lot
of the car turbos have built in wastegates, saves you $ there also.
Don't be
afraid to unclip the housings and turn them so they line up better for
your
install, even re-mount the wastegate actuator if you need to.
    Remember, these calculations are from a spreadsheet I made (I don't
actually
know what I'm doing)  using PV=nRT, so they could be waaay out to
lunch.  The
numbers seem  to be pretty close.

Good luck,
    Dave.