Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] head studs

FFDennis@aol.com
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:47:19 EST

In a message dated 12/13/99 7:01:50 AM Central Standard Time,
shammar@nsk-corp.com writes:

>   The stock studs on the Kaws are necked down near
>  the threads to match the thread root diameter.  This may not be the way to
> go
>  since multiple threads share the load, but the reduced necked area must
> support
>  it.  The aftermarket studs don't have that feature.

I remember reading Kevin Cameron awhile back in Cycle World, where he
explained that he had had numerous stud fractures on the racing version of
the H1 500cc 2stroke, and it was always at the point where the threads
started.  He said that the start of the threads caused a stress riser, always
resulting in the studs failure at the same point.  As soon as he turned some
down so that the diameter matched the root diameter of the threads, no more
fractures.

I wonder if the threads are larger on the aftermarket studs?  That would
result in a larger root diameter also.

Just my .02c......I only know what I've read.

Dennis
'99 Buell M2 Cyclone '87KLR 650 The Urban Assault Vehicle
Firefighter/Paramedic, Motorcycle Nut, Beer Connoisseur
FSSNOC#3653     DoD#1619