Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

RE: [turbobike] Spacer gasket question

Bryan (bgoodwin@iquest.net)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:30:46 -0500

Not so! If you align the marks on the cam sprockets with the upper cylinder
head surface (as you do when you install factory cams) there is a given
length of chain between the cams and crank. Now, if you change the distance
between the cams and crank, but leave the chain the same length, then the
cams will have to rotate forward (for increased deck height). This assumes
that the crank remains still with #1 and #4 at TDC.

At 03:05 PM 11/16/99 +0200, Burger, Marius (M) wrote:
>Huh? Isn't that what cam chain tensioners are for. As long as the amount of
>links between the cam sprockets stay put (in a DOHC setup) the timing won't
>change. Putting a spacer with the head gasket (the way I understand your
>mail) will necessitate  you to maybe go one link up on the tight side of the
>chain, the resulting slack (or lack of it) should be taken up on the
>tensioner's side. As long as there are two crank revolutions for every
>camshaft rev all should be well? Help me if I am wrong here.
>Marius

bgoodwin@iquest.net
FZR1000 turbo EFI
(aka The Money Pit)