Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Turbo horse power vs compression ratio

shammar@nsk-corp.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:02:00 -0400

You're definetely right on the exhaust valve timing.  Advancing the exhaust cam
will make it boost sooner but it'll usually sign off sooner too.  I'm about to
try this on my ZX-11.

The timing thing works because you can get the mixture to actually burn in the
exhaust, creating big pressure.  They make impressive boost, but don't make any
power that way.  Under sustained conditions, you'll burn up the turbine that
way.  I once screwed up on a dyna-S conversion on my FJ.  I think I only had
about 15 degrees of advance.  I saw an instant 23 psi boost when I twisted it,
but I think a 250 Ninja could've passed me at that point.

I believe that a higher CR would make boost sooner, since the pressure is higher
during blowdown, providing more potential energy to the turbine.  The magnitude
of the effect will depend largely on valve timing.  You'll also make more power
earlier with the higher CR, so the transition won't be as abrupt, and the bike
will feel much stronger earlier.

Bob

"John Williamson" <john.williamson5@virgin.net> on 10/29/99 07:48:58 AM