Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

RE: [turbobike] Supercharging little things

George Gorman (george_gorman@aapl.com.au)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:25:20 +1000

It'll be pretty interesting.

To the best of my knowledge, turbocharging a 2 stroke destroys all the
exhaust resonances.

The 1998 Axcess Australia Concept Car used a supercharged 2 stroke engine.
It was a spark ignition engine, but used diesel- style injection, ie into
the cylinder after the transfer and exhaust ports had closed, leading to a
4-stroke level of HC emissions. It was supplied by orbital engine company.

Large ships use supercharged 2 stroke diesels.

I think you may have a large problem with tuning your carb if you
supercharge your 2 stroke. Becaus ethe 2 stroke engine/exhaust will act like
a variable valve, with the flow friction of air in/exhaust out dependent on
the revs, I think you will get lots of boost while building up to powerband,
and then lose it when you hit powerband. Maybe you should aim for your
supercharger to switch off when you hit powerband.

**The author has no practical experience with turbos or superchargers. No
responsibility can be taken for any 2 stroke tuning tips either!!!!**

George Patrick Gorman