Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

[turbobike] Re: HEY CHRISTER

Christer Johansson (christer.johansson@mbox383.swipnet.se)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:23:11 +0200

--------------FCD0E4F76E9D4435CFCE240D

Well compared to a big car air/air type of intercooler ,it has
about the same temperature efficiency degree.
But itīs not possible to fit such a big intercooler to a bike.
The biggest air/air intercoolers on bikeīs Iīve seen is the
ones that Mc-xpress makes,and they are not even 1/3 of the
size of a big car intercooler. Remember that it is area we want
, not thickness. Like the ones from RB racing , just like bricks...
I have not runned any tests with the Mc-xpress intercoolers,
but judging from the size and the amount of boost put through
them I belive they are far from the @75 % temperature
efficiency degree that I got from mine.
Then you have the amount of pressure drop through the intercooler.
Once again comparing with big car air/air intercoolers (Iīm using a
Volvo 850 turbo intercooler as an example wich is really big even
compared to other car intercoolers), they have about 0,2 bar (3psi) of
pressure drop through the intercooler when flowing air for about 270hp.
I had a pressure drop of less than 1psi when flowing air for 320hp!
With a conventional air/air intercooler of the size possible on a bike,
I belive you would get a considerable amount of pressure drop (or
backpressure).
The less pressure drop through the intercooler ,the less backpressure
before the turbo you would get.
And with the less backpressure before the turbo ,the more power
you will get from any given turbo/boost pressure, and the more
hp you can get out of any given turbo, etc etc

Yes ,you need to put an air/air interccooler in direct air flow.
If you donīt mount it in direct air flow ,you have to make ducting
so it will get as much air flow as possible ,otherwise it will not be
of much use at all.

Hopes this answers your questions / Christer

RAW ANT skrev:

> HOW MUCH MORE EFFICIENT IS YOUR PROTOTYPE INTERCOOLER THAN A
> CONVENTIONAL INTERCOOLER

> RAW M.... F..... ANT

--------------FCD0E4F76E9D4435CFCE240D

Well compared to a big car air/air type of intercooler ,it has
about the same temperature efficiency degree.
But it´s not possible to fit such a big intercooler to a bike.
The biggest air/air intercoolers on bike´s I´ve seen is the
ones that Mc-xpress makes,and they are not even 1/3 of the
size of a big car intercooler. Remember that it is area we want
, not thickness. Like the ones from RB racing , just like bricks...
I have not runned any tests with the Mc-xpress intercoolers,
but judging from the size and the amount of boost put through
them I belive they are far from the @75 % temperature
efficiency degree that I got from mine.
Then you have the amount of pressure drop through the intercooler.
Once again comparing with big car air/air intercoolers (I´m using a
Volvo 850 turbo intercooler as an example wich is really big even
compared to other car intercoolers), they have about 0,2 bar (3psi) of
pressure drop through the intercooler when flowing air for about 270hp.
I had a pressure drop of less than 1psi when flowing air for 320hp!
With a conventional air/air intercooler of the size possible on a bike,
I belive you would get a considerable amount of pressure drop (or backpressure).
The less pressure drop through the intercooler ,the less backpressure
before the turbo you would get.
And with the less backpressure before the turbo ,the more power
you will get from any given turbo/boost pressure, and the more
hp you can get out of any given turbo, etc etc

Yes ,you need to put an air/air interccooler in direct air flow.
If you don´t mount it in direct air flow ,you have to make ducting