Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Buell question

andrew-za.evans@ubs.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:56:18 +0200

I must say that up until a month or so ago I was a 'torque virgin',
having only ever ridden midsized Jap fours, but I hired a Suzuki
TL1000S for the weekend and was blown away by that 'gutsy' reaction you
get cracking on at low revs. I've no idea what figures this bike
produced but I suspect it was similar to a stock Buell. That's why I
was left wondering how mad a blown twin would be. 1000 miles per rear?
Boost kicking in just above idle? Pretty damn mad then...
I can see why the Z-1 has been stretch limoed, but does it really make
it more rideable (eg around corners?!). I guess HDs are OK blown coz
they have alot of weight to pull around, making the torque improvement
ideal. I'm still  pretty amazed by the reported reliability and
suitability of harley lumps when blown. You guys are proof of it
though, and a 'modified' X1 is definitely going to be my next project.
I just can't resist the thought of it and am becoming convinced that
the Buell is a decent machine, despite my anti-harley hang-ups.
Regards,
Andy