Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Water cooled turbo

John C Williamson (john.williamson5@virgin.net)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:59:15 +0100

Hi

I presume that you mean to use the stock VACUUM
operated tap?
If you connect the vac pipe as you suggest to the
turbo inlet then it will be at atmospheric
pressure and the valve will probably not open. If
you connect to the plenum then as the thing comes
on boost then it will turn off the fuel supply,
leaving just the float bowls full, just time to
develop some boost... most likely it will just cut
out but it could also burn a piston or valve.
These taps need some negative pressure to keep
them open. This is normally caused by the CV carbs
restrictive venturi even at full throttle. You
could set the tap to ''prime'' if it has this
setting.

Better to fit a big free flow simple valve of
somekind. One problem with fuel supply can be the
air supply to the tank! The vent pipe is very
restrictive. Make sure your regulator is the
compensated type, where a pipe from the 'top' of
the regulator goes to the pressure side of the
turbo setup.

You could ignore the water cooling part, but it
would be better to route some coolant around it,
even if this is oil from the oil cooler.