Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Re: SOHC Honda headgasket problems ' et al'

Jeff Churchill (jcperformance@juno.com)
Sat, 22 May 1999 13:19:36 edt

Eric,
   The expansion rate of copper is immaterial.  Headbolt/cylinder stud
'stretch'  is the holding power.  Oil will wick past copper no matter the
sealer,...retorqing  is only necessary with fiber type materials that
compress beyond a certain point.  That is the main reason for multiple
shim type steel gaskets.  Some sealer is commonly used with fiber type
gaskets,....but of questionable value,...can't hurt.
   A chemical can never do what a mechanical seal does ( I'm not talking
thread sealant)
   Probably 99%  of head sealing problems not of an initial mechanical
nature, are caused by detonation,......period.   Take this to the bank.
Turbo motors not detonating can produce unbelievable power with stock
components,...and reliably.  You MUST have close fuel mixture and
ignition timing controls to keep combustion normal.  You can calculate
proper timing exactly from ideal normal and boosted induction pressure.
   Do you ever wonder how  11:1 compression  28 psi boost motors live ?
 Electonics.

cya

Jeff Churchill

J.C. Performance    617-06  Bicycle Path   Port Jefferson Station   NY
11776    USA
tech:  516-928-6679  or  516-928-9863
website:     http://www.jcperformance.com/