Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] American Turbo Systems

Dave Morrill (david.p.morrill@fairchildsemi.com)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:34:36 -0400

Jurgen,
    I have my popoff valve located on the intake plenum.  Not sure how other
ones work, but most of them are similar, a spring loaded diaphragm with intake
before carb slide on one side, and intake after carb slide on the other.  The
idea is when your throttle is open the intake pressure before and after the
carb slide are equal, and the diaphragm is closed and you can build manifold
pressure.  When you let off, you get vacuum on the valve side and huge boost
on the other, the diaphragm opens and lets the huge boost out, so the turbo
keeps spinning at full speed, instead of slamming into the huge boost and
stopping.
    I have found on my bike that the pulsing on the valve side causes the
popoff valve to chatter on and off at idle, which will eventually destroy it,
and makes it harder to build boost initially.  During transistion around 7000
my bike is sputtering a little here and the popoff valve is opening in a
feedback loop and causing probs here also.
   I am planning to try a stiffer spring, and possibly removing the vacuum
side of the diaphragm connection.  Basically a popoff valve may be more
trouble than its worth, especially if your planning to run low boost.
    I've actually seen some homemade ones that are slick, and RB racing makes
a combo popoff/priority air intake that is awesome, but they are jerks and
wont sell one.

  Why do you want two pressure settings?

-Dave.