Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] carburation vs fuel injection

Christer Johansson (christer.johansson@mbox383.swipnet.se)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:30:39 +0200

 I thought of going to EFI ,but I saw no reason to do it.
Efi does have some advantages in that you can map the fuel
and ignition curves more precisly. But itīs possible with carbs
and a adjustable ignition module to.
As long as the engine gets the right A/F ratio there is no advantage
in EFI powerwise. To know what A/F ratio you have,you will
need a lambda cell, also a EGT sensor would be nice.
This goes for both Efi and carb setups.
During the dial in period I will use a lambda cell and EGT sensors in
all 4 exhaust pipes and the collector, on the new system.
Also, blow through carbs could prove more "forgiving" to the design
of the plenum etc than a EFI would be. If you get sligtly more flow
through some carbs the injectors on a EFI system will still spray
the same amount of fuel, on a carb system it will drag the fuel needed.
Also if you run a high hp EFI system you will need 8 injectors on a
4 cylinder engine ,otherwise you could get trouble with idle as the
injectors would be qite big.
Carbs gives better fuel atomizing at low engine speeds.
But a EFI setup looks cooler though....

Christer