Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] dragracing

christer johansson (christer.johansson@mbox383.swipnet.se)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:46:02 +0100

Hello Ove

Is it a K26 turbo? The kkk`s are very good motorcycle turbos
as they have a bigger turbine housing compared to otherwise
equally sized Garrets ,Mitsu, IHI etc etc.
The mods made to bike turboīs are commonly to port the wastegate
port and install a bigger wastegate valve if the turbo has a integrated
wastegate. Sometimes the turbine wheel are cut in the major diameter
and the fins can be backcutted/undercutted to reduce backpressure
before the turbo. This because bike motors are sensitive to backpressure

as they have much overlap on the cams, and as people want turbos that
spool up qickly and with fast response they use "small" turbos but still

want those big hp. Therefore the turbos are often maximised.
You can also sharpen the wings on the compressor wheel and make
a smoth taper towards the compressor wheel.
I have done all those mods plus some more to My new turbo (Schwitzer).
You are probably right about that intercoolers donīt make much of a
difference
on drag motor ,at least not a air to air type anyway. If You are to run
the bike
only at the drag ,You should consider a liquid cooled version,
preferably with
something else than water as cooling media. As water take to long to
heat up
it wont lead away the heat fast enough.Then there are other materials
than
aluminum that will lead heat faster/better. You want a intercooler that
can dispose
of heat very rapidly and efficintly and still not be a restrictor, not
the easiest task.
How do You control Your boost settings with the pop off valve ,spring
actuated?
Where have you placed the priority breather valve?
I will try and make it to Åland the 22 of may then.

best regards / Christer