Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] aerodyne turbo

Jeffrey K. Churchill (jcperformance@juno.com)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:59:46 -0500

 Remember my personal experience involves a Harley XL 1200 cc low
rpm twin,...the uneven and powerful exhaust pulses are a little hard on
the turbo,..and require exact sizing.
  The Aerodyne vatn feature is too delicate for a HD.  Sheet metal vanes
are used,..which break and distort when and if the motor sneezes or
backfires,...which it WILL  unless you are a genius at tuning,..and never
make a mistake. (certainly not me)  When that happens the variable
turbine a/r feature becomes worse than if it didn't exist.   In any case
the
Garrett  T-2  which i now use,...has better response than the Aerodyne
had
in perfect condition,...and more volume airflow too. (something I'll call
quality
of boost)   It has survived backfires that blew it OFF the bike !
  In my opinion,..the kit did not build on the inherent HD
strengths,..low and mid-range
torque,...rather made the power too late in the limited range (2500 -
6800) of the
motor.
  In fairness to Aerocharger,..the kit as supplied does pretty much what
they say,
but is not upgradeable to any great degree,...and I take issue with many
parts
of the system itself.  The ignition curve with supplied module was not
adjustable
nor did it have a boost re-tard feature,...the fuel system was
good,...but the carb
jetting was crude,...took away a lot of performance and fuel efficiency.
The system
plumbing was designed for a given power level,..almost self
regulating,...actually
a good idea in a way.
  The self oiling feature is terrific,..but is not worth the rest,....the
unit is not
rebuildable except by the factory. ( expensive, time consuming)  Anybody
can
re-build a Garrett,   fast and cheap (plus they last forever)
  What else can I say ??   I'm already on Aerodyne's shit list,...and
everybody else
that uses that product in kits,...who knows, maybe they've improved.  I
should be
old enough not to get suckered by new products,...but hey it happens all
the time
in the high performance business.  I do not have an axe to grind,...its
just the way
I see it.  I am pretty much retired from regular work,..and do this stuff
for satisfaction
and grin factor.  I more interested in enthusiasts  getting what they
expect, rather than
being dissappoinited in performance modifications.
  I hope this and the dyno charts I sent everyone earlier helps someone
make a
more informed choice.

Ride safe, ride every chance you get !

I have an appointment with a turkey,..later

Jeff Churchill

J.C. Performance    617-06 Bicycle Path   Pt Jeff Sta  NY  11776   USA
techline: 631-928-9863    Fax:  631 928-6679
website:   www.jcperformance.com