Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] Carb Question

Bryan (bgoodwin@iquest.net)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:08:40 -0500

Do the factory stacks attach to the carbs or the bottom half of the airbox?

Sometimes the vent lines are not actually lines, rather just an open spigot
on the carb. However, on the ZX9, I believe they should be part of the ram
air plumbing. Look in the manual. I've got one around here somewhere, maybe
I'll find it.

You see, what I am thinking here is that when under boost (say 8lbs) the
pressurized air is going through the holes in the slide to the top of the
diaphram. The pressure diffference between top and bottom of the diaphram
is now only about 6-7psi whereas it was 14-16 psi under vaccum. In essence,
the pressurized air is holding the slides down (to some degree).

I have heard people talk of their slides "blowing open", but I can't figure
out how this would happen. I would enjoy anyone else's insight into this
discussion.

At 12:54 AM 11/20/99 EST, ABNZX9@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/19/99 7:43:19 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
>bgoodwin@iquest.net writes:
>
><< If you are using stock CV carbs, there are vent lines for the vacuum
> slides. It is the same concept as with the float bowls. When the throttle
> plates are opened, low pressure is created on top of the diaphram. High
> pressure air (atmospheric) via the vent lines pushes up on the diaphram
> thereby lifting the slides. If you don't have these pressurized I would
> think that under boost the slides might not be opening all the way.
>  >>

>This is exactly what I am looking for.Altho I am not sure of the vent lines
>for the vacuum slides that you are talking about.Hopefully this weekend I
>will have the time to pull the gas tank off and inspect the carbs to get a
>better idea of what you are talking about.I also have the factory ZX9 manual
>and that may have some of the info in it.
>Now for another question how about intake plenum and attaching it to CV
>carbs?Should I buy a set of velocity stack and machine them in order to fit
>an intake plenum to the carbs that way?I have a feeling that the intake
>plenum I am currently using is robbing me of effieciency.

bgoodwin@iquest.net
FZR1000 turbo EFI
(aka The Money Pit)