Turbobike Web Site www.Turborick.com

Re: [turbobike] turbocharging a 1074 gsxr

Christer Johansson (christer.johansson@mbox383.swipnet.se)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:29:51 +0200

Iīm sorry if I offended You Rick ,it wasnīt My intention!
I didnīt say to change the pistons just lower the cr,.
As I like to run high boost all the time and there is no race gas
availeble at the gas stations ,I lowered the cr.
I have to say itīs amazing that you can get by with stock cr
and 1 bar of boost on pump gas!
Without radical modifications (long duration cams etc)
you shouldnīt be able to charge an engine that is so "maximized"
as the GSXR with 1 bar of boost without lowering the cr or
retard the ignition. You must have a really efficient setup,
as it makes 275rwhp at 14psi = 1bar of boost it would equall
about 300hp at the crank. Normally you can count on that it
takes about 1,1-1,3 barīs of boost to double the output of an existing
engine, due to slightly lower fill rate caused by backpressure before the
turbo and restrictive intake etc. So when "just" converting a GSXR into
turbo without raising rpmīs or installing wilder cams or otherwise modifie
it, you can count on it producing in the neighberhood of 240 hp at the
crank on about 1bar of boost (2bar absolute pressure).
But I have to say that Dynojetīs seem to show a little more power
than it should be. My bike made more rwhp on a Dynojet bench than
it made at the front sprocket on a Superflow waterbrake, this with slightly
less boost! I dont know how much hp I made at 20psi, it made 267hp at
16psi (about) on the front sprocket (superflow).
Hey Jesper are You from Sweden, Gothenburg? I have seen a twin turbo
VFR here and there cant be to many of those around?
regards / Christer